Sunday, May 8, 2011

Recipe of the Week (May 8-14, 2011): Chicken Casserole

My beautiful mom, Helene Streeter
Today is Mother's Day. In the physical sense, I lost my beloved mom, Helene Streeter, in 2007 just three days after my 44th birthday.  However, I shall always hold my mother near and dear in my heart. Her memory will remain with me always and forever.

As most children will take pride in and brag about to any- and everyone within earshot, I am firmly convinced that my mom was the best cook in the world. Her food was special not only for the beautiful flavors that she produced but because she also put so much of herself into each and every dish that came out of her kitchen. She epitomized the very essence of soul food.

In honor of my mother, this weeks' recipe is one that was one of her favorites. It is a recipe that my sister, Pam, brought home from school one day from Home Economics class and made for the family. Thereafter, mom took over the recipe and made it her own, adding that special touch that only she could. That was well over thirty years ago, and the Chicken Casserole recipe is still a hit in our family.

My mom may be gone, but her recipes will live on for many years to come. I hope you derive pleasure from this recipe as much as my family does.

Enjoy!
*  *  *  *  *  *  *
3-4 large chicken breasts with rib meat
1 c. macaroni
1/4 c. chopped onions
1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. marjoram leaves
1 c. milk
1/4 c. chopped green peppers
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 c. chicken broth
1 c. cheddar cheese

Boil chicken until thoroughly cooked. Allow to cool, separate meat from bone and tear into bite sized pieces and set aside. Sauté onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Blend in flour, salt, marjoram leaves and pepper and stir. Add milk and chicken broth and 3/4 c. of cheese. Fold in macaroni and chicken. Top with more cheese and bake at 350° for approximately 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment