Saturday, March 12, 2011

Blogger is Not a Four-Letter Word

Since when did the word “blogger” take on the evil nuances of those colorful four-letter words that your parents taught you never to utter and threatened to wash your mouth out with soap if they ever heard them fly from your lips?

It seems that everybody and their brother writes a blog these days, including me. I have no pretentions about what or who I am as a writer. I make no journalistic claims. But does that mean that, as one who blogs, writes articles and carves out restaurant reviews—and from a first person perspective, no less (ooooh, naughty-naughty, slap on the hand…a journalist would never write in first person so as to maintain a non-biased posture and a degree of objectivity), should I (and those like me) be considered the scourge of the print media?

For pity's sake, I write! And there is not one iota of shame in that statement because the fact of the matter is (oh, there I go, trying to sound like a journalist, espousing the values of facts) I write because it is what I love to do. I make no apologies for it.

Sound like something got stuck in my craw? Plucked my one last good nerve? Got my panties in a bunch? You could say that. The other day I happened upon a blog authored by a journalist who used her forum to impart her particular brand of knowledge upon an unsuspecting web public on the subject of the not-so-subtle differences between a journalist and a blogger.

Yes, it’s a hot button issue for me because I do not want or need to be told I’m not a ‘real’ journalist. I already know this, oh supercilious Einsteins of the world. Dare I say, the ones who feel compelled to remind me—and those of my ilk—of this shrapnel of info, please know that you are not dropping any knowledge on me that I didn’t have before I put fingers to keyboard.

Journalists have their place in society. They have been around for a long time. They write as a way to inform the public . . . just the facts, ma’am. Their primary goal is not to entertain. But that in and of itself does not negate the value of a blogger.

Bloggers offer something different to the reading public and bring an element of entertainment, camaraderie and, yes, sometimes, we even educate. It is a peek into the world of that blogger and their personal passions—whether that passion is gourmet cheeses, dogs, reading, European architecture, or whatever.

In the eyes of some, bloggers have been relegated to the level once held by the paparazzi. This notion is held, generally speaking, by journalists who feel that bloggers are giving them a bad name. Is it warranted? Not entirely. But since I’m being honest, in some cases, yes. The sad truth is there are bloggers who ‘report’ with reckless abandon, perpetuate rumors and even go so far as to fabricate content, all in a bid to gain that all-important subscriber, reader, follower and blog roll.

I am a creative writer. I write tales of my travel exploits and adventures, usually with a humorous slant. I am also a blogger. And I am a food writer. What are my qualifications, you ask? Here’s the good news: I know what tastes good to my palate, and that’s what I write about. And now for the bad news: I don’t have a prestigious culinary school degree. I never studied under master chefs. And as far as cooking in some of the finest kitchens in the world? Pfftthh! . . . Let’s just say I’ve prepared meals fit for a king, a queen and a kingdom (and queendom, for the feminists out there) . . . in my own kitchen. The words “chef” and “Valerie” are not conjoined at the hip. And believe me when I tell you I have no lofty ambitions of standing in a restaurant kitchen being yelled at and receiving shots of spittle in my eye from the likes of Gordon Ramsey. So I prefer, instead, to put on my snarky Anthony Bourdain hat and write about the food that I eat.


Yes, I am a writer. My card even reads as such. Nowhere on it do you see the word ‘journalist.’ And you know what? I’m proud of that. Because, as a writer . . . as one who has written articles about food . . . as a woman who has penned restaurant reviews . . . as a blogger free to blog to my hearts’ content . . . as an individual who can relate entertaining anectodes about my latest travel escapades, I enjoy what I do.

And what would life be like without doing the very things that we enjoy and bring us so much joy?

5 comments:

  1. Wow! How true is THIS post. Way to good Foodhoundette. You struck a blow for all of us bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Very nicely written. And I love those business cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being both a chef and a food journalist, I thought my opinion would be of some value.

    I liked your honest approach to the subject and agree with many of the things you say.

    Chefs can indeed have bad days, for lots of different reasons. The kitchen maybe shortstaffed due to illness (and unlike office work customers can't be put off until tomorrow). The front of house staff may have overbooked the restaurant for a particular time slot. The chef's wife may have told him that morning....I'm leaving you because you're never home!

    Moving on to the subject of food journalists, some of them can be incredible snobs, particularly if they write for a big name city/national newspaper. I came up against a lot of this when I first got into writing.

    However many food journalists and restaurant reviewers knowledge of food has been mostly learned "on the job" so I never let their unfounded comments get me down.

    In truth we all have our weaknesses and strengths. The sensible approach in my opinion is to recognise this and try and learn from one another. Please keep blogging Food houndette because I for one am glad we have met via food buzz.

    ReplyDelete