Thursday, May 3, 2012

For the Love of Eos . . . Again and Again and Again

The delicious Kotopoulo me Prassa
From the very first time my husband and I dined at Eos Greek Cuisine in Stamford, I knew we had found a restaurant that we could count among our favorites. Since that time, it has been a reliable go-to place that has never let us down. The food is consistently delicious, the atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable and the service is commendable.
 

This past Tuesday evening, which my husband dubbed "Tuesdate" night because it was an official Date Night for us, we ventured once again to Eos. It was as it always was: a memorable evening filled with enticing cuisine that tickled our taste buds in the most indulgent of ways.



As some are aware, I've recently come out of the culinary closet. After twenty-five years of abstaining from eating red meat, pork, veal, venison, bison, ostrich and anything else other than poultry and seafood, for lack of a better description: I essentially tripped and fell off the meat wagon, rolled under its massive crushing wheels and now consider myself a carnivore. My sister Wanda doesn't think it will last, but that's a-whole-nother story.

To pay homage to my newly re-acquired meat-eating nature, I bypassed the menu's Char-grilled Fresh Fish Catch of the Day (I can eat fish anytime, can't I?), overlooked the Kotopoulo me Prassa (it's true, Eos' sautéed chicken breast filets with leeks in a lemon butter sauce is divine, but I've had the dish at least three times already) and went straight for the Brizola.

Bring on the well-done char-grilled skirt steak!

Cheese on fire! Ya gotta love this!
Obviously, I was taking my carnivorous duties rather seriously, but it wasn't an all-out meatfest. I did begin the meal with one of my all-time favorites, Saganaki. Come on, who doesn't love flamin' cheese? Really? And the salty goodness of the kefalograviera cheese post-fiery blaze makes the perfect chewy, lemony-tinged start to almost any meal.

Saganaki
And what a meal it was.

Skirt steak with seasoned home fries

When my skirt steak arrived, and it was indeed well-done, Maarten remarked that it was really well-done. Yes, it was a bit on the dark and crusty looking side, which led me to worry. Is it actually burnt? Did Eos fall into that 'thoroughly cooked' trap that so many others trip head-first into? But then I plunged that big steak knife into the meat and the relative smoothness with which it cut told me that I wouldn't be sawing into something reminiscent of a burnt piece of plywood. So perhaps the steak was dark, but I attributed that unique feature to the charbroiled seasonings which, by the by, were simply amazing.

The Seasoned Home Fries and Sautéed Spinach sides that I ordered worked well as the accompaniments to the dish, but my main focus was on the skirt steak, of which I ate every single bite. I was, however, gracious enough to share a tiny morsel with Maarten who agreed that it was, indeed, very delicious.

Pastitsio
Meanwhile, Maarten was busy working on his Pastitsio, a layered macaroni and meat sauce dish topped with a light and fluffy béchamel cream. Evocative of lasagna without the lead-in-your-tummy heaviness, this was one of the more surprisingly tasty pasta dishes I've come across in a while. With hints of cinnamon in the meat and nutmeg in the béchamel sauce, the twinge of sweetness throughout added a layer of comfort that made me want to close my eyes and smile with each bite. Yes, I had more than one bite of Maarten's meal, and his was from the mezedes (small dishes) side of the menu, but it was a large enough portion to serve as the entree, along with a side salad, which is exactly how he fashioned his meal.

Sadly, there was no room for dessert, which is truly a shame because the women seated a few tables down from ours were indulging in a giant hunk of Baklava with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side that made my mouth tingle with desire.


I've never had a bad meal at Eos and, barring their substitution of the chef for a blind one-armed monkey with a bad attitude and even worse personal hygiene, I don't expect to ever have a bad meal there. My visits may be few and far between, but I can always count on leaving Eos happy, satiated and rubbing my belly like my name is Buddha.

2 comments:

  1. We love EOS so much, great write up. Glad the steak was everything you hoped for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys. I really DO love this place. I've done a few write-ups on it: Stamford Patch, Examiner, on this blog. If I could sleep in their kitchen, I would. Now that's true lovin'.

      Delete