Sunday, April 17, 2011

Recipe of the Week (April 17-23, 2011): Salmon Whatchamacallit

If you've been following the recipes of the week lately, you may have noticed a trend. It's called boredom. A lot of trouble can stem from boredom. But a lot of good can flow from it as well. This week's recipe is actually an adaptation of a dish that a gentleman cooked for me years ago in a futile attempt to woo me. I was bored when he wooed me. While it is true that one of the ways to my heart is through my stomach, it is not the only way.

Fortunately, the gentleman didn't stay in my life long, but the recipe sure did. With a few modifications, I made it my own. You should give it a try some time. It's a simple dish that looks and tastes like you spent hours preparing it. Go ahead . . . fool your family and friends; make them think you spent all day on this. You deserve it.

Enjoy!

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
1 lb. boneless, skinless salmon filet
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 small jar artichoke hearts (in juice)
1 large onion, cut into rings
1 tbsp. garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a shallow dish with aluminum foil and place one-half of onion rings on bottom of dish. Season salmon with salt and pepper to taste. Place salmon on top of onions; poke with fork several times. Pour artichoke hearts and juice over salmon. Sprinkle minced garlic over salmon. Place remainder of onions on top of salmon. Pour stewed tomatoes with juice over salmon. Create a “pocket” with aluminum foil around salmon, leaving open a little at top to vent. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until salmon is flaky.

Serve on a bed of angel hair pasta, over rice, or eat alone with your favorite vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment